I bet you would not guess what my occupation is. I think the best one would be a job in which one would easily go by without talking much. Well, I don't know any stutterers to get some feedback on how they manage work so I just put myself in different situations. Once at college I met this man who was in his mid fifties and he stuttered pretty badly. He was a supervisor of grounds on campus and he used the phone quite often. He seemed to have accepted his stuttering and just kept on going. I wonder if one can fully accept stuttering and feel alright with it but that's another story. Anyway, this might throw you off because I accept it is strange. In the past post I talked about frustration but my case, as you will see, is like jumping into a roller coaster.

Enough with the wait. I am a teacher. YEAH! It is ok if you chuckled. How can this be? Is the class a never ending one? Like, goo goo goo good mm mmorning k kk claass. This would really be awful and funny but it is not this way. How? Why? First of all I am an English Teacher, to be precise an ESL (English as a second language) one. I was born in Peru but grew up in the States and then brought back to Peru and went back again to get a degree in the USA. I like to call this the triple culture shock parade. Well, still, how do those classes go? First of all. for some strange reason, I stutter more in Spanish. I do not know why although I have some thoughts. It is not that I do not stutter in English. I do, but it is easier for me to cover it up and to use other words to substitute the stutter words. But that is not why I think I do not have much problems with stuttering at work. I feel that since I get paid, somewhere in my mind, for some reasons, I stutter less with the "crowd" pressure. But this is only in my classes because when I get home and start speaking with my in-laws then my rattle snake awakens! My students do not realize my stuttering. They probably think that is how I talk. I speak with confidence and really am a pretty good teacher. I currently have 3 classes a day and some days are easier than others. Some days I stutter a bit but here is the secret. Since I am the teacher, if I feel that a stuttering word is coming, I can change subjects, ask the student to participate more, or make him or her practice. Well, in other words, work, for now, is not a big problem but I do not know what I would do if this area also gets "infected" by stuttering. At least not all is bad.

read more | digg story