Well, I am back from my trip to Machu Picchu and of course I have more stutter stories from that journey. I also have not forgotten my wedding story which I will go back to in my next post so do not think I am slacking. I just wanted to share the reason for this blog to be out there in the cyberspace and expectations I have for it.

Stuttering is a big, huge I should say, problem. I am still trying to fully accept it and understand it. Many times I feel very but very lonely in this. I can't mention this problem just to anyone because of the ignorance on the issue. Most people think that one stutters when one is nervous and others think stutterers are dumb or have been traumatized to a point in which it has affected our brain. While of course this may happen, it is not accurate in most cases. We, stutterers, are normal people with great skills hopes and abilities. We happen to be great thinkers and are often pretty darn smart. I think this is what hurts us more. I mean, to portray people that cannot speak because of lack of confidence, ideas, intelligence is completely and utterly far away from reality. But hey, I am not going to argue with every and single person who thinks differently. However, could I just say "I do not care on what people say, I will just go on with my life because the opinions of others do not affect me"? Although, this would be idealistic it is not true for me. I do care. I care when people talk around my shoulder. I care when I hear whisperings and gossips stating that I have issues. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I am what people say or that I depend on what others think. I am just saying that it saddens and affects me.

I would like this blog to be an open source of valuable information about who a stutterer is and what he goes through. My stories are posted so that others stutterers can see that we are not alone. That in one place far way from home, like Peru, there is someone who understands,who knows what you are going through and who cares despite the fact there might be age or race differences. How many times have I just stayed quiet and said nothing thinking that no one would understand and that I was some kind of "freak" because I could not say what I wanted to. Well, this is why I did this blog and if I just have 2 readers or 2000 it will make a difference.

I would also like to receive other stories and post it. Maybe just through the comments of by email so that I can include a tab on top of my blog labeled "Other stories" (working title). So if you read a story and feel inspired just email me and I will start posting other stories. It does not even matter really if you comment, or send an email, what matters most is that stutterers feel identified and supported and that non stutterers gain more knowledge about what we go through and learn to respect the fact that one stutters.. We can encourage others and unite our efforts because stutterers rock. Seriously, I have never met a shallow stutterer. Most of us have great personalities and have a huge heart.

I do not know what road this blog but I will be happy as long as it increments awareness on the subject and brings union among stutterers through the internet. I want to thank all of you that have read this humble blog and to those who have commented. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or advice. I hope you all have had a great Christmas and a better New Year's day.